Areas of interest and expertise: critical accounting; financialization; financial sector reform; social network analysis
You can follow Adam on Twitter at @AdamLeaver1
Adam Leaver is Professor of Accounting and Society and Co-Director of SPERI. He is also an ISRF Political Economy Research Fellow. Prior to joining the University of Sheffield in 2017, Adam was Professor in Financialization and Management at the University of Manchester, and researcher at the Centre for Research In Socio-Cultural Change (CRESC).
His work is interdisciplinary, working at the intersect of critical accounting, political economy and management. He has published multiple co-authored books and articles on financialization and financial crisis and has a track record of publishing impactful public interest reports on financial sector reform.
Adam’s current research interests include i) using social network analysis methods to map the social relationships that underlie certain complex securities markets, ii) developing a relational theory of the firm to understand the impact of financialization in the corporate sphere, iii) exploring the inter-temporal transfers and tensions that arise as a consequence of financialization and iv) theorising the sociology of metric gaming in organisations.
Key publications by Adam Leaver
- Bowman, A., Erturk, I., Folkman, P., Froud, J., Haslam, C., Johal, S., Leaver, A., Moran, M. Tsitsianis, N. and Williams, K (2015) What A Waste!: Outsourcing And How It Goes Wrong Manchester Capitalism Book Series, Manchester University Press
- Bowman, A; Engelen, E., Erturk, I., Froud, J., Leaver, A., Moran, M. and Williams, K (2014) The End Of The Experiment? From Competition To The Foundational Economy, Manchester Capitalism book series, Manchester University Press
- Engelen, E., Erturk, I., Froud, J., Leaver, A., Moran, M. and Williams, K. (2011) After The Great Complacence: Financial Crisis and the Politics of Reform, Oxford: Oxford University Press (longlisted for IPEG book prize, 2014)
- Erturk, Froud, Johal, Leaver and Williams (Eds) (2008) Financialization at Work, London: Routledge
- Froud, J., Johal, Leaver, A. and Williams, K. (2006) Strategy and Financialization: Narratives and Numbers, London: Routledge, 392 pages (shortlisted for IPEG book prize)
- Brooks, S., Leaver, A. Spence, M., Elliot, C, Dean, M., (2017) ‘Pragmatic engagement in a low trust supply chain: Beef farmers’ perceptions of power, trust and agency’, Competition & Change
- Leaver, A. and Martin, K. (2016) Creating and dissolving social groups from New Guinea to New York: on the overheating of bounded corporate entities in contemporary global capitalism’, History and Anthropology
- Leaver, A. (2015) ‘Fuzzy knowledge: an historical exploration of moral hazard and its variability’, Economy & Society
- Bowman, A., Froud, J., Johal, S., Leaver, A., and Williams, K. (2013) “Opportunist dealing in the UK pig meat supply chain: Trader mentalities and alternatives.” Accounting Forum
- Ertürk, I., Froud, J., Johal, S., Leaver, A., Williams, K. (2013) “(How) Do Devices Matter In Finance?” Journal of Cultural Economy, vol.6 , no.3, pp.336-352.
- Buchanan, J., Dymski, G., Froud, J., Johal, S., Leaver,A. and Williams, K. (2013)”Unsustainable employment portfolios.” Work, Employment and Society 27, no. 3, pp.396-493
- Froud, J., Johal, S., Leaver, A., and Karel Williams. (2012) “Financialization across the Pacific: manufacturing cost ratios, supply chains and power.” Critical Perspectives In Accounting.
- Ertürk, I., Froud, J., Leaver, A., Williams, K. (2012) “Accounting for national success and failure: rethinking the UK case.” Accounting Forum, vol.35, no.1, pp.5-17
- Langley, P. & Leaver, A. (2012) ‘Remaking retirement investors: Behavioural economics and defined-contribution occupational pensions’, Journal of Cultural Economy, vol. 5, pp. 473-488
- Erturk, I., Froud, J., Leaver, A., Moran, M., Williams, K. (2012) ‘Misrule of experts? The financial crisis as elite debacle’, Economy and Society vol.41, no.3, pp.360-81
- Erturk, I., Froud, J., Leaver, A., Moran, M., Williams, K. (2011) ‘Haldane’s Gambit: political arithmetic and/or a new metaphor’, Journal of Cultural Economy, vol.4, no.4, pp.387-404
- Erturk, I., Leaver, A. Williams, K. (2011) “Changing the Metaphor: finance as circuit.” Socio-Economic Review, vol. 9, no. 3, pp.567-596