Ellie is a Global Challenges Research Fellow based in SPERI. Ellie’s research is located at the interface between international development, political economy, and gender and sexuality studies. Ellie is SPERI’s Equality, Diversity and Inclusion Lead.
Ellie Gore has been awarded funding by the UK Global Challenges Research Fund (GCRF) to study the relationship between gender, migration and labour exploitation in Ghana. Based at SPERI, the two-year research fellowship, which commenced in August 2019, this project comprises a comparative study across three sectors in Ghana: cocoa, sex work, and domestic work. The study addresses two primary research questions, examining the factors that determine migrant women workers’ vulnerability to labour exploitation, and how gender and migration shape workers’ experiences of labour exploitation. It will involve intensive field research in three regions of Ghana and will be undertaken in partnership with the Department of Sociology at the University of Ghana.
Ellie joined the University of Sheffield in June 2017 as a Postdoctoral Research Associate working on the ESRC-funded study, ‘Understanding and Governing the Global Business of Forced Labour’, led by Genevieve LeBaron. Between 2018-19 Ellie was an ESRC White Rose Postdoctoral Fellow at SPERI. Prior to joining the University of Sheffield, Ellie taught in the Politics and International Studies and International Development departments at the University of Birmingham.
Ellie’s research interests include: development, sexual rights, and queer activism in the global South; the political economy of gender and sexuality, with a particular focus on Ghana; and gender and unfree labour in supply chains.
- Gore, E. (2018) Reflexivity and queer embodiment: some reflections on sexualities research in Ghana. Feminist Review, 120 (1): 109-119
Peer-reviewed book chapters and other publications
- Gore, E. (2019) ‘Queer activism in Africa’. Oxford Encyclopaedia of African Politics. Oxford: Oxford University Press.
- LeBaron, G. and Gore, E. (2018) The Global Business of Forced Labour: Policy Brief #1 Key Findings and recommendations for UK policymakers. SPERI & University of Sheffield.
- LeBaron, G. and Gore, E. (2018) The Global Business of Forced Labour: Policy Brief #2 Key Findings and recommendations for auditors and certifiers. SPERI & University of Sheffield.
- LeBaron, G. and Gore, E. (2018) The Global Business of Forced Labour: Policy Brief #3 Key Findings and recommendations for brands and retail companies. SPERI & University of Sheffield.