Position: Senior Lecturer in European Politics and co-leader of SPERI’s research programme on ‘European Capitalism and the Future of the European Union‘
Telephone: +44 (0)114 2221695
Areas of interests and expertise: The EU, European Political Economy, European Citizenship/Identity, Theories of International Relations/International Political Economy.
Owen Parker is Associate Fellow of SPERI and Senior lecturer in Politics at the University of Sheffield. He joined the Department in April 2012. He was awarded a PhD in Politics and International Studies from Warwick in September 2010 (ESRC funded), holds Masters degrees from Warwick (Politics, International Political Economy track, 2007) and the London School of Economics and Political Science (International Relations, 2002) and a BSc from Bath (Politics and Economics, 2000).
Owen’s research sits at the intersection of international theory and European studies. In particular, his work is interested in the relationship between Europe as a political and economic project. Recent and ongoing research focuses on questions related to EU citizenship and migration within and into the EU. He is co-editing a SPERI publication on the crisis in the periphery of the Eurozone.
- Bache I, Bulmer S, George S & Parker O (2014) Politics in the European Union. Oxford University Press, USA.
- Parker O (2013) Cosmopolitan government in Europe: Citizens and entrepreneurs in postnational politics..
- Parker O (2016) Teaching (Dissident) Theory in Crisis European Union. JCMS: Journal of Common Market Studies, 54(1), 37-52.
- Parker O & Catalán ÓL (2014) Free Movement for Whom, Where, When? Roma EU Citizens in France and Spain. International Political Sociology, 8(4), 379-395.
- Parker O & Rosamond B (2013) ‘Normative power Europe’ meets economic liberalism: Complicating cosmopolitanism inside/outside the EU. Cooperation and Conflict, 48(2), 229-246.
- Parker O & Toke D (2013) The Politics of a Multi-level Citizenship: French Republicanism, Roma Mobility and the EU. Global Society, 27(3), 360-378.
- Parker O (2012) The ethics of an ambiguous cosmopolitics: citizens and entrepreneurs in the European project. International Theory: a journal of international politics, law and philosophy, 4(2), 198-232.
- Parker O (2012) Roma and the Politics of EU Citizenship in France: Everyday Security and Resistance. Journal of Common Market Studies, 50(3), 475-491.
- Parker O (2009) Cosmopolitan Europe’ and the EU-Turkey question: The politics of a ‘common destiny. Journal of European Public Policy, 16(7), 1085-1101.
- Parker O (2008) Challenging ‘new constitutionalism’ in the EU: French resistance, ‘social europe’ and ‘soft’ governance. New Political Economy, 13(4), 397-417.
- Parker O & Brassett J (2005) Contingent borders, ambiguous ethics: Migrants in (international) political theory. International Studies Quarterly, 49(2), 233-253.
- Parker O () Commercialising Citizenship in Crisis EU: The case of Immigrant Investor Programmes. Journal of Common Market Studies. View this article in White Rose Research Online
- Parker O () Teaching (Dissident) Theory in Crisis EU. Journal of Common Market Studies. View this article in White Rose Research Online
- Parker O (2012) A foucauldian perspective on the ethics of Eu(rope): Genealogies of liberal government, Globalisation and European Integration: Critical Approaches to Regional Order and International Relations (pp. 70-88)..