Owen is a Research Fellow at SPERI and Senior Lecturer in European Politics in the Department of Politics. His work focuses on the EU, with a particular focus on the political economy of the contemporary EU.
Before coming to Sheffield in 2012, Owen was a postdoctoral and doctoral researcher at the University of Warwick. Prior to that he spent three years working for the European Commission on EU enlargement policy.
Further information about Owen can be found here.
Owen has published a monograph on the strands of thought – economic and legal – underpinning contemporary governance in the EU. He is co-author of the leading textbook on EU politics.
Owen is currently pursuing three strands of research:
- the political economy of EU citizenship and migration within and into the EU;
- the political economy of the contemporary EU, with a focus on the Eurozone crisis;
- Brexit (with a focus on issues of migration).
- Parker O & Tsarouhas D (eds) (2018) Crisis in the Eurozone Periphery: The Political Economies of Greece, Spain, Ireland and Portugal. Palgrave (SPERI)
- Bache I, Bulmer S, George S & Parker O (2015) Politics in the European Union. Oxford University Press, USA.
- Parker O (2012) Cosmopolitan government in Europe: Citizens and entrepreneurs in postnational politics. Routledge.
- Parker O & Pye R (2018) Mobilising Social Rights in EU Economic Governance: A Pragmatic Challenge to Neoliberal Europe. Comparative European Politics. Online first 2017. View this article in WRRO
- Parker O (2017) Critical political economy, free movement and Brexit: Beyond the progressive’s dilemma. British Journal of Politics & International Relations, 19(3), 479-496. View this article in WRRO
- Parker O (2017) Commercializing Citizenship in Crisis EU: The Case of Immigrant Investor Programmes. JCMS: Journal of Common Market Studies, 55(2), 332-348. View this article in WRRO
- Parker O & Catalán ÓL (2014) Free Movement for Whom, Where, When? Roma EU Citizens in France and Spain. International Political Sociology, 8(4), 379-395.
- Parker O & Rosamond B (2013) ‘Normative power Europe’ meets economic liberalism: Complicating cosmopolitanism inside/outside the EU. Cooperation and Conflict, 48(2), 229-246.
- Parker O (2012) The ethics of an ambiguous cosmopolitics: citizens and entrepreneurs in the European project. International Theory: a journal of international politics, law and philosophy, 4(2), 198-232.
- Parker O (2012) Roma and the Politics of EU Citizenship in France: Everyday Security and Resistance. JCMS: Journal of Common Market Studies, 50(3), 475-491.
- Parker O (2008) Challenging ‘new constitutionalism’ in the EU: French resistance, ‘social europe’ and ‘soft’ governance. New Political Economy, 13(4), 397-417.
- Parker O & Brassett J (2005) Contingent borders, ambiguous ethics: Migrants in (international) political theory. International Studies Quarterly, 49(2), 233-253.