Tony is Professorial Fellow in SPERI. He has worked at the University of Sheffield since 1985 and became Professor of Politics in 1993. He has been Head of the Department of Politics (1992-5 and 1998-2001), Pro-Vice-Chancellor for the Social Sciences (2008-12) and was the founding Co-Director of SPERI with Colin Hay (2012-17). He was also the founding Managing Editor of the journal New Political Economy.
Tony’s research interests sit at the political end of political economy and have focused at different times on the fields of development, governance, regionalism and globalisation, and their intersection. He is currently working on the global governance of the global political economy post-crisis, with particular reference to the capacity of the G20 to facilitate the striking of a new global deal that can bring the process of globalisation under greater control.
- The Long Battle for Global Governance, with Stephen Buzdugan (2016), London & New York NY: Routledge.
- Civic Capitalism, with Colin Hay (2015), Cambridge & Malden MA: Polity Press.
- Handbook of the International Political Economy of Governance, edited with Nicola Phillips (2014), Cheltenham & Northampton MA: Edward Elgar.
- Development, with Nicola Phillips (2010), Cambridge & Malden MA: Polity Press.
- Key Debates in New Political Economy, edited (2006), Abingdon & New York NY: Routledge.
- The Global Politics of Unequal Development (2005), Basingstoke & New York NY: Palgrave Macmillan.
- The New Regional Politics of Development, edited (2004), Basingstoke & New York NY: Palgrave Macmillan.Charting Caribbean Development, with Paul Sutton (2001), London & Gainesville FL: Macmillan and University Press of Florida.